Monday, May 6, 2013

Conan Montage Pt. 2 - The Anvil of Crom

I repeat: "Never show a work in progress!"

"The Anvil of Crom" was a piece of music composed for the 1982 Conan movie. Most likely it's the one you are thinking of right now, if you saw it. It inspired me to design some element for the montage.

At first I was thinking that the entire poster would be only calligraphy and silhouettes, and though an anvil does have an unmistakable shape, it's not that imposing by itself. So I tried to design something worthy of Crom.

The one above was what I'd settled on, as it echoes the mantra of flesh being stronger than steel. An idea for a hammer also came to me:

And I thought great, awesome, ready for ink. But then I got inspired by this incredible photograph: http://www.flickr.com/photos/natgeo-/6124449390/in/photostream

And now my little anvil man looks a tad puny. Nevermind that in real life few men would be strong enough to lift it, this has to be an anvil worthy of Crom! So now I'm thinking something more like this:


Except that will be a difficult thing to simplify into the very plain sort of shapes I had in mind for this montage.

What to do, what to do.



4 comments:

  1. Hello, I am reaching out to you about the illustration of your "anvil of crom" Design.

    I am from the gaming/mod community that works on Conan Exiles. and within the group of modders we have taken a liking of your illustrated design, so much so it was 3d modelled in hopes of adding it in the video game.

    however after abit of discussion it was best to reach out to you first to not only to ask permission of adding your design ingame, but also credit it to you.

    I hope this message reaches you. Here is the 3d rendition of said design, I hope it is to your liking:

    https://gyazo.com/7b1c3c57c5b6dbcaf13966e49e3db063
    https://gyazo.com/2a2a60349ed5b99ce40e06f8568fcf48
    https://gyazo.com/149723c714959260a3ce3ca832206a0b

    Sincerely,
    Kujo Ujima
    3D Modeler
    Team Emberlight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. That is beautiful. What is the mod and when do you expect to release it? Go right ahead sir. Thank you for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The modding team I am currently with is called emberlight, for the moment I am looking to see to have your item added to that mod or have it be open to the modding community with you still being credited as creator. things have been busy so unsure of the time table of when it will be in game. when it does happen i will update you accordingly with screenshots included. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again. I tried to contact you on the Nexus. Your mod looks fantastic.

      Delete